HOLIDAZE: Call for Art
Drop off Dates: Sunday, November 27, 3 - 5pm and Monday, November 28 10am - 12pm
Pick Up Dates: Sunday January 1, 3 - 5pm & Monday January, 2 10am - Noon
Exhibition Dates: December 3 - January 1
Reception: Saturday December 10 2022, 6 - 8pm as part of the Second Saturday Gallery Walk
Joshua Tree Art Gallery: 61607 29 Palms Hwy, Suite B, Joshua Tree, CA
Gallery hours: Fridays 11am - 3pm, Saturdays 9am - 3pm and Sundays 12 - 3pm
It’s time to get ready for the HOLIDAZE – our annual member's exhibition of gifts for the giving season all for sale for $200 and under. Interested in participating? Please review the guidelines below and sign up through this google form.
- Artists must be a member of the MBCAC. Become or renew your membership at www.mbcac.orgor when dropping off your work.
- There is no exhibition fee to participate.
- Work has to be for sale for $200 or under.
- We kindly ask each artist to sign up for one 3-hour gallery sitting shift, to be arranged on intake day. Artists can pay a $25 gallery sitting fee if unable to gallery sit.
- Artists can exhibit up to 3 pieces of artwork. If you are interested in selling multiples: i.e. books, prints, cards, wearables, mugs and etc just email email@example.com to discuss.
- The jeweler's case is available for up to 4 jewelers, one shelf for each artist.
- All wall-hung artwork must have hanging hardware (i.e., d-rings, wire, cleats, saw tooth brackets, etc.) For the safety of your artwork, resting a canvas frame on nails alone does not count as hardware.
- Size limit: Up to 32" height x 32" width max for wall art. Sculptures must be able to fit on one approx. 12″ x 12″ pedestal. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a pedestal.
- Please have a label on the back of the artwork that includes: Artist Name, Title, Year, Medium, Size (height x width x depth) and Sale Price.
- Consignment forms will be filled out and signed at JTAG. If you'd like to fill out you form before you can download a PDF HERE
- The MBCAC will retain a 15% commission and will collect sales tax for all sales.
- You will be contacted if your piece sells, and you may replace it with an additional piece.
- Artwork will be installed at the discretion of the Gallery.
- MBCAC reserves the right to refuse any work not suitable for the exhibition.
- MBCAC will not be responsible for loss, theft or damage to the work of art submitted.
General Exhibition Requests:
For solo and group exhibitions curated by the artists JTAG asks for a fee of $1000 for the month, this can be divided amongst the artists participating in the exhibition. JTAG receives a 20% commission on sales. You do not have to be a member of the MBCAC. This space is autonomous with the artists taking the lead on organizing the exhibition with assistance from the Gallery Director. We are currently seeking exhibition proposal's for June and July 2022 and beyond.
Please send us an exhibition proposal to email@example.com that includes: your name, phone number, e-mail, brief bio, website, dates requested and up to 6 JPEGS that are representative of your work.
Mural III by Rose Cefalu | February 19 - May 15, 2021
The MBCAC continues our mission to inspire and enliven the community through the arts by presenting a rotating line up of large temporary murals on the exterior wall of the Joshua Tree Art Gallery. As we reflect and shift with the daily changes and effects of COVID-19, the Morongo Basin Cultural Arts Council understands that art has the power to connect, uplift and inspire everyone. While many residents are reevaluating the new normal, the downtown Joshua Tree commercial strip remains active. We aim to catch the eye of a passersby and shift their current outlook to one of inspiration and intrigue. Stay positive, stay safe and continue to make and appreciate art.
We are accepting submissions for a new mural to be installed mid December 2021 and mid-March 2022. We are happy to continue and adapt this great program started by JTAG founder Frederick Fulmer. Click the links to earn more about Mural I by Other Desert, Mural II by Anna Stump, Mural III by Rose Cefalu, Mural IV by Kate McCabe and Mural V by Juan Thorp.
- Artists must be members of the MBCAC. Join here.
- Artists who have participated in the past are not eligible to re-apply.
- There is no fee to participate.
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT:
- Up to five sketches of your proposed ideas
- 3-6 examples of your past work that fits the style of your mural submissions
- What time period(s) work for your schedule
- Apply by completing the form below
- The mural is approximately 147” wide by 73" tall with a metal frame that has a 2" border and 2 vertical bars equally space to hold and wood panels in place.
- The Gallery Director will provide three panels of pre-primed polytab material marked with boundaries. When the work in complete these sheets will have adhered to existing wood panels when installed. The MBCAC will also provide the artist with Nova Color Artists' Acrylics 216 Exterior Satin Varnish for the final top coat to protect the work. The artist is responsible to the first coat of sealant that is compatible with the mediums used.
- The Gallery Director will provide this guide with tips for mural prepping and painting.
- Please understand the dimensions and limitations of the metal frame. The piece can be seen as three separate panels like this or one continuous piece with 2 vertical borders like this.
- The murals do not have to be created with paint only. Polytab is a substrate, like canvas but stronger, that can have several kinds of mediums applied to it. Think printmaking, collage, drawing, and mixed media and more! All mediums used should be constructed of durable materials that are able to withstand harsh conditions including high winds, extreme temperatures and any external force caused by humans. The artist must comply with all appropriate requirements for safety.
- The Gallery Director will install the finished piece. The artist can be present for installation is desired.
- The polytab material is versatile and after the exhibition the finished material can be attached to stretchers, framed or presented by other display methods.
- The MBCAC is not responsible for any damage to the work. We recommend that the artist procure some form of liability insurance in the event of damage, theft or injury to a third party.
SALE OF ARTWORK:
- Artwork can be sold, but not removed until the 3-month contract is complete.
- After the contract is complete the work will be returned to the artist for their own use.
- The MBCAC will withhold a commission of 15 percent if the work is sold during the exhibit.
Please email requested information and/or questions to Gallery Director Katie Nartonis firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the application form below.
Mural Application Form